INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT) SOLUTION FOR THE NIGERIAN JUDICIARY UNDER THE JUDICIAL COMPONENT OF PROJECT NGAS08
The objectives of the Judiciary component are to develop and pilot the implementation of a comprehensive framework to strengthen judicial integrity and capacity in Nigeria at the federal level and 10 pilot states. The following six outputs are expected from the project:
· National strategic framework for strengthening judicial integrity and capacity development,
· Assessment reports on justice sector integrity and capacity,
· Development and implementation of action plans for strengthening judicial integrity and capacity in the 10 pilot states,
· Enhancement of public trust in the justice system,
· Enhancement of professional capacity of judicial staff,
Increased judicial operational capacity through the design and deployment of the Judicial Research Centres (JRCs)
each of the Judicial Headquarters and a Judicial training centre (JTC) at NJI.
The Judicial Research Centre (JRC) is a robust ICT infrastructure providing access to legal research tools (such as Lexis Nexis and Westlaw), the Internet, and specialized IT applications (like the Complaints management system), which help judicial officers and court officials to carry out their tasks more efficiently and with greater ease. Each JRC has three main components: 1) a satellite equipment for Internet connection, 2) a server room with advanced equipment, and 3) a pool of computers connected to the Internet.